Hazardous Materials Assessment

A Hazardous Materials Assessment – HMA- (also can be referred to as a Hazardous Materials Building Assessment/Inspection or HazMat Survey). The assessment determines the presence of hazardous materials in the subject building (asbestos, lead paint, PCBs, etc) and quantifies the results of such material.

JOMA Environmental provides:

  • Demolition Assessments
    • These HMA reports determine where inside or outside of the building the hazardous material is located and in what quantity.  These HMAs usually involve invasive sampling techniques and will include any material that is deemed suspect by the inspector. Asbestos Containing Material (ACM) and lead paint are the most common items to sample. Both asbestos and lead paint pose inhalation hazards for workers that are preforming the demolition, especially if they are cutting, grinding or sanding building materials. By performing these assessments all of the parties that are involved with the demolition know the whereabouts of hazardous materials which helps to create a safe work environment.
  • Renovation Assessments
    • Also referred to as a Limited Hazardous Materials Assessment (LHMA), these reports are project specific and will often only include a few rooms of the house (or where the renovation is occurring). These assessments take less time to complete, involve less sampling and is reflective in the price. Sampling can be invasive or non-invasive, depending on the type of renovation occurring.
  • Pre-Sale Assessments
    • In the case of a Pre-Purchase Assessment, this will allow the potential buyer to know the whereabouts of the asbestos (or other hazardous materials) and the associated costs with the 3rd party professional removal. Sampling is usually done in a non-invasive manner.

When does an Inspection need to be done ?
Before renovations or demolitions begin. Such hazardous materials have an inhalation danger when disturbed in ways such as cutting, sanding and grinding materials.

Can anybody preform the Inspection ?
NO. WorksafeBC clearly states that only a qualified person that has the proper training and experience can perform the inspections. This can be an AHERA Certified Inspector, a Certified Safety Professional or an Industrial Hygienist.

This type of assessment is required by WorkSafeBC for all buildings that were built pre-1990.