Frequently Asked Questions

Here are some answers to common questions we get asked

How do I recycle my electronics?

Small appliances, power tools, and exercise equipment can be taken to Hartland Landfill’s recycling area, or an Recycle My Electronics location near you.

Where can I recycle my batteries?

Your spent or unused batteries can be dropped off at Hartland Landfill, Ellice Recycle, or a Call-2-Recycle Location near you.

Where can I take my household hazardous waste?

Household chemicals should be taken to a hazardous waste drop-off location. Hartland landfill provides this service for the greater Victoria region. This is only applicable for residents. For Commercial haulers, a License to Transport Hazardous Materials is required, and services are not provided at Hartland. Hartland Landfill will not accept hazardous waste from a commercial hauler.

Do I require a BC Generators number for my waste?

Regulated wastes to be removed from a site over a certain quantity require an application to the MoE for BC waste generators number. The registration quantity limits are stated in Schedule 6 of the Hazardous Waste Regulations. Link to BC Registration Quantity Limits: click here

Where should I store my hazardous chemicals on the work site?

All products will have an accompanying MSDS sheet identifying all associated hazards and proper storage and handling guidelines.

For more resources check out these sites:

British Columbia Environment Industry Association (BCEIA)

Hazardous Waste Management in BC

Asbestos Information - Work Safe BC