FAQs / Blog

Public Based FAQs

1. How do I recycle my electronics?

Small appliances, power tools, and exercise equipment can be taken to Hartland Landfill’s recycling area, or an Electro-Recycle location near you.

2. Where can I recycle my batteries?

Your spent or unused batteries can be dropped off at Hartland Landfill, Ellice Recycle, or a Call-2-Recycle Location near you.

3. Where can I take my Household hazardous Waste?

Household chemicals should be taken to a hazardous waste drop-off location. Hartland landfill provides this service for the greater Victoria region. This is only applicable for residents. Commercial haulers require a License to Transport Hazardous Materials and waste must be taken to a registered hazardous waste receiver.
Hartland Landfill will not accept hazardous waste from a commercial hauler.

Industry Based FAQs

1. Do I require a BC Generators number for my waste?

Regulated wastes to be removed from a site over a certain quantity require an application to the MoE for BC waste generators number. The registration quantity limits are stated in Schedule 6 of the Hazardous Waste Regulations. To review the BC Registration Quantity Limits, follow the link below:


2. How should I store my hazardous chemicals on the work site?

All products will have an accompanying MSDS sheet identifying all associated hazards and proper storage and handling guidelines.


Informational Websites

British Columbia Environmental Industry Association (BCEIA) 

Hazardous Waste Management in BC 

Asbestos Information

JOMA Environmental always gets questions regarding the environmental industry so we have put our frequently asked questions below and a link to our blog.

Blog Posts 

September 2016 – Where to Dispose of Household Hazardous Waste
October 2016 – Whats the Deal with Glow Sticks ?
December 2016 – Transportation of Dangerous Goods (TDG) – Hazard Classification